Friday, January 29, 2010

Aunt Erin

I do not remember how it even started, but Sophie has always wanted to send hugs and kisses to my sister in heaven via helium balloon. Erin died just before Sophie turned 2, but they were very close before she died. In her little mind, it was a way to send love to a place she really didn't completely grasp. While I totally understand that the concept is nowhere near theologically sound, it was something that comforted her, so we let her do it. Now almost five years later, she still does it. And now so does my sweet Ella, who never got the chance to meet her Aunt Erin.

It does not matter where the balloon comes from. The process is always the same. Everyone has to kiss the balloon. Everyone has to hug the balloon. Then the balloon heads up to "take our love to Aunt Erin".

Aunt Erin has "gotten" love balloons from birthday parties, school parties, restaurants, ballgames, even three from Disney World. This morning, Ellie decided that she was ready to send her birthday balloon from Sophie to Aunt Erin. So, we hugged it. We kissed it. And we headed outside and watched it float away. I couldn't help but get a bit teary -eyed hearing my sweet youngest daughter holler "I love yous" to the aunt she never knew but that I have always prayed she would know all about.

photo.jpg


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Whit, the tears are running down my face.
The photo won't display for me but I'm sure its adorable. I love that they do this.
I can't belive it's been almost 5 years. Sometimes it seems like she is not gone, like the phone is going to ring and its going to be her.
I love you. Thank you for teaching your girls what a wonderful person Erin is.